THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH SOLD THEIR BUILDING TO THE MIRACLE TEMPLE CONGREGATION
THE DANCYVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
In 1853, ten settlers in the area made a petition to the Presbytery in Memphis, for the organization of a Presbyterian Church in Dancyville. Construction of the building was begun early the next year. Signers of the partition were: John Clinton, Agnes Clinton, David C, Russell, Martha L. Walker, James R. Walker, S.R. Carney, Mary L. Thompson, Ann Spurlock and Martha Miller. The Rev. R.E. Sherrel was called as Pastor and John Clinton served as clerk of the session. The ten partition signers served as the entire original membership. Records show contributions were received from many others interested in the church.
Between this time and the outbreak of the Civil War a large party emigrated from Alamance County, North Carolina. Many of these were of the Presbyterian faith and became members of the church. Some of the names added to the church rolls at this time were: Crawford, Gilliam, Currier, Johnson, Albright, Edwards, Freeland, Hunter and Dixon. In 1939 the church building was remodeled with money bequeathed to the church by S. Walker Edwards.
In remodeling, the original building was left in tack, with brick veneer on the outside and paneling on the inside. Stained glass windows and a columned porch were also added.
ARTICLE WRITTEN by MRS. LUCY HUNTER DIXON
Photos by Mary Kay Dancy Smith
The Bell Tower was donated to the Presbyterian Church by Shelby Dixon (1900-1992), in memory of his wife,
Lucy Hunter Dixon (1904-1989).
BACK TO CHURCH INDEX
BACK TO HOME PAGE