EUGENE W. GOODLOE
In 1925 Gene Goodloe, b. 1900 in Parsons, TN, married Lola Williams from Stanton, TN. They lived in Memphis for a short time before they returned to make their home in Stanton. They had one child, Lola Gene. They built a home in Stanton and lived there for over 40 years. They were members of the Stanton Baptist Church where he was a Deacon and she was a Sunday School teacher. They both were interested in civic and school activities. He was active in the P. T. A. Theatre Group and performed in many of the plays they presented.
In 1950, they moved to Dancyville where he was a partner and manager of Dancyville Gin Company since 1938. She was office manager for the gin from 1942 until they sold the gin and retired in 1962.
After retirement, he was able to spend much more time on his extensive bell collection, numbering close to 500. The largest bell of his collection was one that originally belonged to the Dancyville Baptist Church. After the church was disbanded following the Civil War, the bell was given to the Stanton Baptist Church, where it stood for many years. After the scaffolding, which supported it deteriorated, and the bell had fallen to the ground, he bought it for his collection. After his death the bell was returned to the Stanton Baptist Church and a new stand was constructed in his memory.
~ Stanton Cemetery ~
Eugene W. Goodloe
July 29, 1900 - October 31, 1984
Profile by MARY KAY DANCY SMITH
BACK TO WHAT'S NEW
BACK TO PROFILES INDEX
BACK TO HOME PAGE